Being able to create shapefiles in ArcGIS is essential for any GIS user. It is one of the very basics in working in an ESRI environment. With the inclusion of ArcCatalog into ArcMap now its even easier to create shapefiles as well as many other types of files for use.
The steps to create a shapefile are pretty simple.
- If the ArcCatalog window is not open already go up to Windows and click Catalog.
- Once the window is open navigate to the folder desired to that you would like to create the file.
- Right Click on the folder, click New and then Shapefile… (Fig. 1)
- From there, the Create New Shapefile window has a couple required fields; Name and Feature Type.
- Additional fields that are optional include; Spatial Reference, M values and Z values.
- That is it, hit OK and you are all done.
If you would like to see a video demo, check out the following below.